Mar 7, 2007

Eragon: A Book Written by a Teen

Please don’t get us wrong. We aren’t against fiction. In fact, Ted and I love fiction books. Reading fictional stories is a good diversion from some of the more “useful” materials you read. Fiction is fine as long as you don’t over-read it. Over-reading it is like stuffing yourself on cake and candy and leaving no room for the meat and vegetables. The “cake and candy” should be eaten for dessert. When used that way it provides a sweet treat that you may look forward to.

The book Eragon By Christopher Paolini has been labeled as plagerizing Star Wars (you know, that he is the first of the new line of “Jedi”), and copying Lord of the Rings (Elves, Dwarves, Urgals). The fact is that the basic fiction story includes the “first of some noble race”. As for copying Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Rings covers such a broad area of fiction that it is almost impossible not to “copy” it.

Standing alone without comparing it to any other books you must admit Eragon is an amazing book. Christopher Paolini was only fifteen when he wrote the book.

Eragon… a book of Dragons, Riders, Magic, Good and Evil, Elves, Dwarves, and packed with fast-action fights and slow training.
The story is about a young boy who finds what appears to be a blue stone. Soon it hatches revealing that it isn’t a stone at all but a dragon egg. Chased by an evil king’s followers he must escape with his Dragon and a story-teller called Brom. As they travel across the country they meet many adventures that require the special powers that come with being a Dragon Rider.

I read Eragon when I was 11 years old. I loved it. Actually, I had gotten it for Christmas a year before from my brother but, intimidated by its bulk, I put off reading it till we could match in size. When I did, I was finished in two days. I was shocked and amazed that someone who was only four years older than I could have written such an amazing piece of literature. Definitely a “Do Hard Things” sort of person (and homeschooled too!).

Christopher captured well the struggles of a young boy who had been thrust into a position he had not chosen, but must learn to embrace. A position of danger.

Some people might have a problem with the magic in the books. If so, I can’t really argue but I must say that I don’t. Paolini presents a clear distinction between good and evil magic.

I would give Eragon five stars if it were not for the use of the “B” word several times throughout the book. Paolini makes his characters people who you can really relate to because they aren’t perfect. Nobody is. I really respect the way Christopher took so much advice from his parents and other older and wiser men and woman while writing the book. Note: We do not support the Eragon movie. Ted and I are still wishing and praying that a competent Director will step up and make a good version of the movie.

Buy Eragon

Isaac Harris

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like fiction, you should read The Binding of the Blade series by L.B. Graham. It's my second favorite fantasy series. (Lord of the Rings is first).

Literaryink Team said...

I started that series and will probably finish it later, if you enjoy fiction you might like Taliesin by Stephen Lawhead. It's almost as good as Lord of the Rings. Thanks for reading.

Ted