Mar 10, 2007

Be the Change

Many of you may have heard of the new movie called Amazing Grace, the story of the man William Wilberforce. Wilberforce was a member of the Parliament of the British Empire, and his goal, was to abolish slavery. I went and watched it with my family on opening day. The movie was an excellent portrayal of a great man.

My brothers (Alex and Brett), authors of The Rebelution, reviewed the movie on their blog. One of the people involved with the movie was a boy named Zach Hunter. After a bit of research, we found out he was a fifteen year-old teen, and he has a message for his generation. Abolish the modern slave trade.

To those who may not know, slavery is still a major practice today and it is just as ugly. It is estimated that there are still 27 million slaves today. There is still secret slavery in the United States.

But back to Zach Hunter.

He started his amazing campaign when he was just twelve. He told his Mom after reading about people like Frederick Douglass, “Man, if I had lived back then I would have done something!” His mother, who was already involved in abolition to some extent, informed him that there still was slavery all around the globe, and he realized that he “couldn’t just do nothing, as if I agreed with it.”

He seemed interesting. Using a trusty search engine (called Google), we found out that Zach had written a book titled Be the Change, so as soon as it came out, we bought it. I got the book and read it in one night (something I would not suggest you do). I was shocked. I was amazed at the fact that someone who was only fifteen wrote such a powerful book. I thought for a little while. That means that he is just as old as Ted. Think of Ted writing a book. Okay I had better stop or I'll scare myself.

After I finished the book, I had to admit that Zach did an amazing job with the book. The design and format was great but it was the simple way that he wrote that made me be able read it so easily and quickly. At the beginning of each chapter, he has some empty space where you write notes and complete the assignment at the end of each chapter.

To start off each chapter, Hunter tells a story about an abolitionist, or a slave, a story that ties in with the message of the chapter. It is ad powerful and interest-grabbing way of keeping the readers into the book. As he writes, he uncovers the horrors and the real life picture of what modern slavery looks like. It will really wake up readers to what is going on outside of their little neighborhood, county, or city stun readers.

He also asks thoughtful, good question that really make you think. Things about confidence, comfort, and how to use influence are on of the many topics he covers.

In closing, he writes that he is not trying to force everyone to become and abolitionist, but to find what their passion is. "If your passion is abolition, good for you. If it's not, that is okay."
We need to find what that is.

He is trying to get the message across to teens that we have a lot more influence then most people think. We can make a difference. It ties in a lot with The Rebelution's message.

As you probably already guessed, I am giving Be the Change two thumbs up. Zach has a powerful message for his generation and to others as well. To learn more about Zach, and what you can do to end slavery, visit http://amazingchange.com/.

Buy Be the Change

Isaac Harris

1 comment:

Katrina Rowe said...

Wow! I just got this book for my birthday today! I really look forward to reading it now! Great review, Isaac!